Wednesday, September 22, 2010

More Apples

The last few days around the farm have been the usual run of the mill, typical days; caring for the children, the chickens, the cats (which, by the way, all 4 kittens are now living under my porch...sigh. Anyone want a cute, cuddly kitty!?!?!), cooking meals, baking bread, cleaning clothes and house, you know, the life of a stay at home mom on the homestead. Except for one thing....I have had apples on the brain, again! A few weeks back I purchased a bushel of apples and made the most delicious, natural, no sugar added, applesauce. Yummy!! I thought that took care of my apple preserving cravings, but no, it sneaked back in. So, this week......apple chips.

Apple chips are so easy to make and super nutritious. They are sweet and crunchy...oooooohhh my mouth is watering just thinking about them...I started by purchasing 1/4 bushel of second apples. You don't need to spend the money on the most beautiful apples because they are going to be dried anyways. This amount only cost me four dollars and I will get about 4 1/2 batches so that is less then a dollar a batch! Woo woo for saving money and feeding the family nutritiously!


I have found that it only takes about 8 or 9 of these apples to fill my dehydrator.
This is how I do it...

Wash and core the apples, then slice. I am so grateful I have a slicer! I slice mine about a 1/4 inch thick. Once they are sliced you need to put them in a solution of either water and 'fruit fresh' or lemon juice (one cup water to one tsp of other) to keep the apples from browning. Then just lay them out on the dehydrator and let them go!! I make a batch after lunch, when my children are napping, and they are ready the next morning with breakfast. What kid isn't going to love it when mom says, "here little Johnny, have some chips for breakfast"!!!    I know my kids do! Haha!




Now, go have fun making some cheap, delicious, nutritious apple chips for your brood while I get together what's up next here on Dew Thyme Farm.....apple fruit leathers! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment